Back in the day when I was just getting into mountain biking, Tinker Juarez was one of those guys that was always in the mountain bike magazine articles and ads. He stuck out to me because of his unusual name and crazy hair. He's still got both of those and he is still winning races . Image by Ken Conley How can a guy in his late 40s still be winning competitive mountain bike races? Ned Overend, the mountain bike racing legend in his 50s, is the same way. He does pretty well in hill climbs, winning at the Teva Mountain Games last year and usually doing well in the Mount Washington hill climb. However, you don't see any road racers that age still racing, much less winning races. Why is that? Maybe road races are much more competitive and demanding, or maybe a mountain bike racer will years of experience and skill development has an extra edge over younger riders. Whatever it is, these guys give us something to aspire to.
This evening while I was running, I came across a great horned owl sitting on a log by the side of the path. The owl didn't move as I came by and stopped but just looked at me and blinked. It didn't seem hurt - just chilling out on a log. I have never seen anything like it. This is another reason why people should get outside. It's a unique experience that you can't have if you only go from your house to your car to wherever. It is a side effect to being outside and actively using your body - you might see a once in a lifetime thing.
Well, I just re-discovered my blog after about a 15 year hiatus. Also I discovered that all the photos are now gone. Interesting. I suspect it is something that google did, but maybe I deleted them from somewhere accidentally?
Comments